Saturday, November 14, 2009

Homemade Dog Food

People are usually very surprised to hear that I cook my Boston Terrier Jade's meals. The truth is, it takes me less than 5 minutes to get her meals ready, twice a day. What does take a long time though, is when, every few months, I have to cook the vegetable and grains mix that I just store in the freezer. I made a batch last week and it took me exactly 4.5 hours from start to finish. It takes a long time because I have to wash, peel, cut and steam everything (well not the grains).

Here are the veggies and grains I used (I also had some zucchini but forgot to include them in the picture):


DSC_1925-1


In this picture you can see the winter squash in the steamer in the background. Each batch of veggie required about 25 minutes in the steamer.

DSC_1926-1

I mixed in some cranberries along with the couscous, lentils, rice, oats and quinoa.

Once everything was cooked, I used the immersion blender to make a nice and smooth "paste".

DSC_1944-1


DSC_1949-1


Then I just put it all in containers to go in the freezer!

DSC_1952-1


DSC_1954-1


Then, everyday, all I do is cook up some turkey (once in a while she gets beef, chicken, or even salmon), and add a tablespoon of the veggie mix.

DSC_1960-1


DSC_1961-1

I also add some steamed bone meal as a supplement for calcium (that really grosses me out, but you have to do what you have to do...)

DSC_1964-1


DSC_1966-1


Result: a happy dog!

DSC_1967-1

I am sure Jade would be happy with kibble too if that's what she were used to, but I figured, why not? It doesn't cost me more to do this. I have not calculated yet but I am pretty sure that this is costing me less than a good quality kibble would!


DSC_1972-1

Other result: dishes almost up to the ceiling! Oh well, that's why I love my dishwasher!

DSC_1959-1

3 comments:

Lisa S. said...

I cook for my dog when she gets a sour stomach (usually the result of my father-in-law giving her too many fatty snacks) and it isn't that much trouble... but my dog weighs 80 lbs and cooking for her all the time would be a little burdensome. :) Good for you!

Isabelle said...

Wow, yes, I cannot imagine cooking like that for an 80 lbs. dog!
Jade is only 17 lbs and doesn't eat much...

MAS said...

Waouuuu
trop trop bien ... c'est endy mon chihuahua qui va etre heureux !!
Merci
Wa Wa Wa