Friday, November 20, 2009

Sucre à la Crème

DSC_2002-1


Sucre à la Crème is a traditional "fudge" from Quebec, Canada. I had never heard about it until a few days ago when my friend Josee (who is from Quebec) told me about it. It sounded so delicious that that same day I looked up a recipe for it and set to make some the next day.


Ingredients:

DSC_1975-1


- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp sugar

Put all of the ingredients in a large saucepan. If you are using a candy thermometer, set it on the pan now too.

DSC_1978-1


Bring to a boil.

DSC_1981-1

Be careful, it might boil over! This phase lasts about 2 minutes. I actually had to lift the pan up, otherwise it would have been a huge mess. After the 2 minutes or so, it will continue boiling but it will come down.

DSC_1984-1


You shouldn't need to stir it at all but I wasn't sure so I stired it a few times.

DSC_1986-1


Take the pan off the heat exactly when the temperature reaches 240 degrees F. (soft ball stage). It took me about 18-20 minutes to get there.

DSC_1988-1


If you do not have a candy thermometer, you will need to do the following to find out when it has reached the soft ball stage: in a bowl of very cold water, drop some of the mixture. If it forms a soft, moldable ball (take it out with your fingers), then it is ready! Watch this video for a better understanding of the process.


Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes. Then, with an electric mixer on high speed, mix for 5 minutes, until it has thickened.

DSC_1993-1


DSC_1994-1


Pour into a lined 8x8 in pan.

DSC_1995-1


DSC_1997-1


Cover and let cool down for a few hours.

DSC_1998-1


Once it is completely cooled down, take it off the pan and cut into bite-size squares.

DSC_1999-1

What happened in the lower left corner you may ask? Oh, that was just me being impatient... I just had to taste :-)


DSC_2000-1


And here are my little sucre au lait in candy boxes for my friends :-)

DSC_2004-1


DSC_2011-1

Not to sound too corny or anything, but the best part about making all these yummy things is sharing it with my friends!

I used this recipe :-)

1 comment:

Maia said...

I think the best part is sharing with your friends too! :p
yum!