Sunday, February 7, 2010

Never EVER cut and seed jalapeño peppers without wearing latex gloves...

...unless you want to be in tremendous and very long burning pain. Trust me, I speak from experience.

DSC_2616-1

My husband had to spend the day at work on Superbowl Sunday so last night I thought it would be nice to make some jalapeno poppers for him and the crew to enjoy. The pioneer Woman has a great recipe for it in her cookbook so I thought I would give it a try. I bought about 30 jalapeno peppers. She does warn you that you need to wear latex gloves or you may have burning sensations on your fingers, but of course I didn't "listen". I thought it couldn't be so bad, and I could rinse off my hands if it bothered me.
I WAS WRONG. Ok, I may sound overly dramatic, but you have to understand that my hands ended up burning A LOT for about 15 hours before it started going away. At first it was just a little tingling sensation that started just about when I finished seeding the jalapenos. Then, within minutes, it felt as if I had stuck my hands onto a burning stovetop.
My husband tried to help me and did a google search on what might help to relieve the burning and I tried absolutely everything: baking soda paste, milk, orange juice, sour cream, rubbing alcohol, olive oil, aloe... Nothing worked! Some of those things helped for a few minutes, but then the burning would come back full force. I ended up sleeping only 2 hours last night. Around 4 or 5 am, the pain had subsided a little and I was so exhausted that I finally fell asleep (with both hands on an ice pack).

Needless to say, I stopped taking pictures when my hands started burning so there won't be any recipe today. My husband ended up finishing it for me while I rubbed my hands with baking soda. They cooked them and ate them this afternoon at work and he said that they tasted pretty good. It has been almost 24 hours since I cut those darn jalapenos and my hands are much better now. I still feel a little tingling sometimes, but nothing like it was last night!

DSC_2618-1


DSC_2620-1

No comments: