Thursday, February 25, 2010

Spinach and bacon quiche

I am quite ashamed to say that I am French and I just now made my first quiche! Oh well, better late than never, right? For some reason, I always thought that quiches were difficult to make but I have been quite culinarily adventurous lately and as it turns out, it was very easy to make and oh so delicious! The only "difficult" part would be to make the pie crust but you can buy those already made so that's not a big deal at all. I had one in the freezer from last time I made some (I used this recipe.)

And ok, I just have to say that I know it doesn't look very well presented and you'd probably not guess by just looking at this picture but it was extremely delicious! All three of us absolutely loved it!

DSC_2908-1


Ingredients:

DSC_2891-1


- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground coarse black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped and packed
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

I baked the pie crust first -with rice as I didn't have beans- and I forgot that it shrinks when it's baking. I will remember next time!

DSC_2894-1


DSC_2895-1


DSC_2896-1


DSC_2898-1


Combine the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender.

DSC_2899-1


DSC_2901-1


Layer the spinach, bacon and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust. I actually forgot this and mixed the cheese in the blender with everything else, that's why you can't see any cheese in the picture!

DSC_2903-1



Pour the egg mixture on top.

DSC_2904-1


Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the egg mixture is set. I think I baked mine about 5 minutes too many...

DSC_2905-1

Cut into 8 wedges and serve. You can also eat it cold, it tastes very goo that way too!


I had a little extra egg mixture so I baked it in a ramekin and had it for breakfast the next day!

DSC_2906-1

I used this recipe.