Thursday, March 4, 2010

Snack mom of the week!

Every Thursday in my daughter's class, a child must bring a snack for every student (the rest of the week, they bring their own snack). The name of the snack needs to start with the letter of the week. This week, the letter is U. I had the choice between ubi, udon, ugli, ukha, uku and other exotic fruits/foods that I have never heard of before. I could have done upside down cakes but that's a lot of work and I am not sure it would have been very appealing to the kids. So I talked to Maia -she always has great ideas- and she mentioned those little umbrellas that you find in cocktails. And I thought that it was exactly what I needed. I could stick them on anything and there I would have my "U" snack. I decided to go for cream cheese rolls as I thought most kids would be familiar with it and even the picky ones would probably like it.


DSC_3126-1


DSC_3129-1

You should have seen the kids' faces when they came back from recess and found those on their desks. They all looked like little kids discovering what's under the tree on Christmas morning! They ALL ate them and even the 10 extra ones I had made were gone by the end of snack time.
One of the little girls even asked me to give her mom the recipe so she could make it at home. That really made my day!


3 comments:

Valerie said...

That is so cool! Kiera is snack person on the 12th, and it's K week, so I have to come up with 2 snacks (morning and afternoon) that start with K. And of course Kiera is excited because that's "her" letter. :)

Maia said...

:D I'm glad the little umbrellas worked!! I know I would've loved that when I was a kid!

Isabelle said...

Valerie, you got a tough one! I did a quick search for foods that start with K and found a few interesting ones like kidney pie or kangaroo steaks. Do you think the kids will go for that? ;-)