Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chili

I had never made Chili until a few weeks ago. When my friend Josee came over one day and made a chili in my kitchen, I just fell in love with the taste of this delicious concoction! Since then, I have made three different Chili recipes and I am looking for more! If you have a favorite Chili recipe and would like to share it with me, I will be forever grateful! I have become slightly obsessed with Chili.

This recipe is from the Pioneer Woman Cooks. I love her cookbook; it has lots of wonderful pictures and stories as well as recipes.


DSC_2253-1


Ingredients:

DSC_2234-1


- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup masa (corn flour)

Optional ingredients:

- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chili (I use Rotel brand)

For serving:

- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped onion
- Fritos

Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the garlic.

DSC_2237-1


Cook the beef until brown and drain off the excess fat.

DSC_2238-1

Pour in the tomato sauce, followed by the spices and the salt.

DSC_2240-1


Stir together well, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry, add in 1/2 cup of water at a time as needed.

After an hour, place the masa in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and stir together with a fork.

DSC_2243-1


Dump the masa mixture into the chili.

DSC_2246-1


Stir together well. Taste, adjust the seasonings, and add more masa paste and/or water to get the chili to your preferred consistency, or to add more corn flavor. Add the beans, jalapeño, and tomatoes if desired. Simmer for 10 minutes.

DSC_2247-1


DSC_2249-1


Serve with shredded cheddar, chopped onion, and Fritos.

DSC_2251-1


No comments: