Saturday, October 10, 2009

Chicken-Coconut Curry.

I made this recipe a few days ago and I can say that it has become an instant favorite! The recipe is from Maria Sinskey's Family Meals.


DSC_1186-1


Ingredients:

DSC_1170-1

- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 can (14.5 oz) coconut milk (I used light coconut milk and it tasted great!)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 lime leaves
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup firmly packed freas basil leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tbsp lime juice

Peel and thinly slice the onion. Trim the lemongrass to the white bulb only and slice it in half lengthwise and crush it with the side of your knife:

DSC_1172-1



Heat a saucepan on medium-high and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Sautee until the garlic is golden (1-2 mins).

DSC_1173-1


Add the cumin and brown sugar, and cook until the sugar bubbles, about 30 secs.
Add the coconut, chicken stock, fish sauce and lime leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low ans simmer for 15 mins to blend the flavors.

DSC_1175-1


Add the chicken, basil, mushrooms and lime juice and simmer until the chicken is opaque, about 10 mins longer.

On a side note, this is how I got my chicken breast to be nice and flat. I used my "meat hammer". Yes, I know that's not how it's called, but I don't know the right word and don't feel like looking it up right now. Meat hammer will have to do!

DSC_1177-1


DSC_1178-1


Remove and discard the lemongrass stalks and the lime leaves.

DSC_1180-1

Serve over jasmine rice and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges. Serve right away.

DSC_1186-1

Don't hesitate to squeeze much lime juice on top of your curry. Julia and I loved the added flavor which went so well with the coconut!

2 comments:

Brandee said...

my mouth is watering over this dish!!

Isabelle said...

Thank you Brandee!