Saturday, October 3, 2009

Homemade Marshmallows!

Last weekend Julia and I made marshmallows from scratch. I love marshmallows so when I saw the recipe in my new cookbook I thought it would be fun to make my own!

Ingredients:

-1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 11 by 9 inch baking pan
- aluminum foil
- Canola oil for pan
- 1 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract



In a bowl, sift together the cornstarch and confectioner's sugar.

DSC_0635


Line the pan with foil and lightly oil it. Sift 1/4 cup of the sugar mixture into the pan and tilt to cover all sides.

DSC_0639


Dissolve the gelatin: Pour 1/2 cup water into the bowl of a stand mixer (unfortunately for me, I don't have one so I had to use a hand-held one). Sprinkle the gelatin over the water, whisk together and let stand for 5 mins to soften. Whisk in the salt and cream of tartar.

DSC_0641


DSC_0644



Put the whisk attachment on and beat on high speed until fluffy, 2-3 mins.

DSC_0646


Put 1/2 cup of water into a saucepan. Stir in the granulated sugar and the corn syrup. Place over medium-high heat, bring to a boil and cook without stirring until the mixture turn pale tan, about 250 degrees F on a candy thermometer.

DSC_0647


Turn the mixer on medium speed and drizzle the hot sugar syrup into the gelatin mixture, aiming between the side of the bowl and the beater. Be careful!
Increase to high speed and whip the mixture until it's white and thick, about 5 mins. Ad the vanilla and beat until the mixture cools, about 20 mins.

DSC_0651


Pour into the prepared pan.

DSC_0654


Dip a palette knife in cold water and smooth the surface.

DSC_0655


Let a skin form on the surface, about 1 hour. Dust with 1/4 cup of the sugar mixture and let rest overnight at cool room temperature.

DSC_0662


Line a pan with parchment paper and dust with the sugar mixture.

DSC_0664


DSC_0666


Cut the marshmallows into desired shapes. I used a pizza cutter and it worked wonders!

DSC_0671


DSC_0675


We were finally able to taste our marshmallows! We both loved them! They have nothing to do with their jet-puffed counterparts and I'd much rather eat my own marshmallows than the Kraft kind any day of the week! Mine may not be "jet-puffed" but they are most definitely fluffy!


DSC_0684


DSC_0686


DSC_0694


DSC_0699


Cover tightly and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

DSC_0703



Yes, I did have a marshmallow in my coffee! Delicious!

DSC_0707

No comments: